ENGLISH TOY SPANIEL PUPPIES AND DOGS
- Nickname: ETS, Charlie, King Charles Spaniel
- Breed Group: Toy
- Height: 10-11 inches
- Weight: 8-14 lbs
- Life Span: 12-14 years
ENGLISH TOY SPANIEL INFORMATION
ENGLISH TOY SPANIEL BASICS
WHERE ARE ENGLISH TOY SPANIELS FROM?
Since the fifteenth century, the English Toy Spaniel has been a popular breed with royalty dogs, who used them as foot warmers and lap dogs. It is thought that to develop this breed, British toy spaniels were mated with Asian toy dogs, such as Pugs and Japanese Chins.
HOW MANY DIFFERENT BREEDS OF ENGLISH TOY SPANIELS EXIST?
The Cavalier King Charles Spaniel was developed from the English Toy Spaniel.
WHICH BREEDS MIX WITH ENGLISH TOY SPANIELS?
- English Speagle (English Toy Spaniel + Beagle)
- English King (English Toy Spaniel + Cavalier King Charles Spaniel)
- Eng-A-Poo (English Toy Spaniel + Poodle)
- Engachon (English Toy Spaniel + Bichon Frise)
ENGLISH TOY SPANIEL LIFESPAN
The lifespan of an English Toy Spaniel is around 12-14 years.
ENGLISH TOY SPANIEL SIZE (HEIGHT & WEIGHT)
Most English Toy Spaniels weigh 8 to 14 pounds and are just 10 to 11 inches tall.
ENGLISH TOY SPANIEL APPEARANCE
WHAT COLORS DO ENGLISH TOY SPANIELS COME IN?
The English Toy Spaniel is black and tan, solid red, chestnut and white, or tricolour.
HOW MUCH DO ENGLISH TOY SPANIELS SHED?
The English Toy Spaniel is a moderate to heavy shedder.
DO YOU NEED TO GROOM AN ENGLISH TOY SPANIEL?
English Toy Spaniels require regular brushing to prevent matts and tangles in their long, flowing hair and maintain a healthy coat.
ENGLISH TOY SPANIEL TEMPERAMENT, PERSONALITY & TRAINING
HOW MUCH DO ENGLISH TOY SPANIELS BARK?
The only thing the English Toy Spaniel does is bark to warn people. They don’t tend to bark excessively.
DO ENGLISH TOY SPANIELS GET ALONG WELL WITH CHILDREN?
Although English Toy Spaniels are patient and kind with children, they often prefer one person over a whole family, mainly if that family includes rowdy and unpredictable individuals.
It is advised that your kid always is under adult supervision when interacting with your English Toy Spaniel, as is the case with any breed, to ensure the child’s and the dog’s safety.
ARE ENGLISH TOY SPANIELS GOOD FAMILY DOGS?
The English Toy Spaniel is a laid-back pet that enjoys living in the city or the country, with plenty or little room. They have a sense of humour and a relatively aristocratic conception of themselves, favouring one individual above the entire family. They could care less about most people since they are committed to their families.
DO ENGLISH TOY SPANIELS GET ALONG WELL WITH CATS?
Cats and English Toy Spaniels are widely known to get along. In any case, they are smaller than most cats.
CAN ENGLISH TOY SPANIELS BE TRAINED EASILY?
The English Toy Spaniel is simple to teach since it rapidly picks up new information.
ENGLISH TOY SPANIEL HEALTH
DO ENGLISH TOY SPANIELS HAVE A LOT OF HEALTH PROBLEMS?
Though generally in good health, there are several illnesses to look out for in the English Toy Spaniel breed.
WHAT DISEASES ARE ENGLISH TOY SPANIELS PRONE TO?
- Patellar luxation: Patellar luxation, sometimes called slipping kneecaps, is a prevalent issue in many dog breeds. The knee joint slides in and out of position due to minor irregularities. Pain and sporadic lameness may result from this. Surgical intervention is an option for severe instances, although many dogs recover without it.
- Patent Ductus arteriosis (PDA): PDA is a frequent heart problem from birth. A growing fetus’s aorta and pulmonary artery’s blood vessels don’t close completely after delivery. If this blood artery is left open, blood will enter the lungs, creating a buildup of fluid that results in hard breathing, fainting, dizziness, coughing, heart murmurs, collapse, and heart failure. PDA can be fatal but is easily treated surgically.
- Eye Issues: Glaucoma, a condition that puts too much pressure on the eye, harms the optic nerve, and eventually results in vision loss and blindness; entropion, a genetic defect where one or both eyelids are inverted or roll inward and rub on the surface of the eye; and cataracts, a common eye condition that causes cloudiness in the eye and impairs vision.
- Others: Heat stroke, hydrocephalus, and mitral valve disease are conditions where the valve that directs blood from the left atrium to the left ventricle starts to fail. Hydrocephalus is a buildup of brain fluid most frequently found in puppies under 18 months of age. A vet could advise having your dog undergo hip, eye, and imaging testing to discover some of these problems.
PURCHASING VS ADOPTING AN ENGLISH TOY SPANIEL
HOW MUCH DOES AN ENGLISH TOY SPANIEL COST?
Adoption is significantly less expensive than purchasing an English Toy Spaniel from a breeder. To cover the costs of caring for the dog before adoption, an English Toy Spaniel adoption costs about $300. However, the cost of purchasing English Toy Spaniels from breeders might be exorbitant. They often range in price from $1,000 to $1,800, depending on their breeding.
WHERE CAN I ADOPT AN ENGLISH TOY SPANIEL
An English Toy Spaniel rescue specialising in the breed would be the most straightforward place to adopt one.
RESCUES AND SHELTERS FOR ENGLISH TOY SPANIELS
Some animal shelters and rescue organisations specialise in helping English Toy Spaniel pups find beautiful homes.
WHERE CAN I FIND AN ENGLISH TOY SPANIEL BREEDER?
We advise against purchasing a puppy from a breeder and instead urge you to rescue an English Toy Spaniel (or any dog). In need of homes are the millions of purebred dogs who are homeless around the nation. In addition, the adopter and the adopted English Toy Spaniel may experience significant life changes due to the adoption.
It is safer to get a puppy from a reputed breeder if you still have doubts and want to buy an English Toy Spaniel from a breeder. When working with a breeder, be sure that the breeder you’re buying from genetically tests their animals. You should also double-check the puppy’s health records. Finally, ensure the breeder will return any animals they sell if they cannot keep them in their home for whatever reason. Confirm they are dedicated to finding those animals’ new homes if necessary.